The New Synagogue in Oranienburgerstrasse is certainly one of the most beautiful buildings of Berlin. Once the largest synagogue in the world, it serves today as the center Judaicum.
The famous architect Eduard Knoblauch (1801-1865) was inspired for his design for the synagogue by the Moorish style of the Alhambra in Granada. The gilded dome that is covered with ribs was more than 50 meters high and was made famous across the borders of Germany by the application of modern construction technology. At its inauguration in 1866, she was the worlds largest synagogue with its 3,200 seats. Today it serves as a Judaicum center (Jewish Culture, documentation and event center). Anyone who has passed the stringent security controls, quickly stands infront of a glass front , which releases the views of the former church, which is now a free space strewn with gravel.
In the pogrom of 9 November 1938, the synagogue escaped of arson thanks to the intervention of a courageous police officer. But in 1943 a bomb attack was the reason for its almost total destruction. The fassade and the golden dome have been repaired since 1988. In May 1995 the building was opened again with the permanent exhibition, "Tuet auf die Pforten". Address:
Oranienburg Strasse 28-30
10117 Berlin www.cjudaicum.de
Sun, Mon 10am - 8pm, Tue-Thu 10am - 6pm, Fri 10am - 5pm
March and October:
Sun, Mon 10am - 8pm, Tue-Thu 10am - 6pm, Fri 10am - 2pm
Sun, Mon 10am - 6pm, Tue-Thu 10am - 6pm, Fri 10am - 2pm
S-Bahn: Oranienburger Str: S1, S2, S25
Underground stations: Torstr. / Oranienburger Tor: U6